Whether you need fast cash for expenses or simply want to trade in old or broken jewelry, selling unwanted items to a dedicated buyer of gold and other precious metals is a great way to get a fair, fast payout for your items. At Cash For Gold USA, we make the process easy, secure, and risk-free.
About Cash for Gold USA
Cash For Gold USA is proud to be one of the nation’s most reputable online gold buying companies. Despite the focus on gold in our name, we also deal in other valuable precious metals, including silver, platinum and palladium. We’ve got 35+ years of experience in the scrap metals industry, and since 2005 we’ve paid more than 250 million customers over $50 million for their broken or unwanted precious metal jewelry.
We know that you want to get the most cash as soon as possible, which is why we strive to make the selling process quick and easy. Unlike pawnbrokers who focus primarily on issuing collateral loans and reselling pawned items, dealing in metals is all we do. While a pawn shop might have some understanding of what your jewelry might be worth, our experts can give you the most accurate value for your gold and offer you the highest payouts.
How Much Is My Gold Worth?
If you’d like to estimate your gold’s value at home, first determine its weight and its karat value. Gold jewelry is typically marked somewhere with its karat value, which is defined by the purity of the gold that was used (in other words, the percentage of actual elemental gold present in the piece). The higher the purity, the greater the value will be.
The following are commonly used karat weights and their respective gold purity:
- 24k: 9% gold
- 22k: 7% gold
- 18k: 75% gold
- 14k: 3% gold
- 10k: 7% gold
- 8k: 33.3% gold
At Cash For Gold USA, we’re focused on the raw value of the gold material used to make the piece in question. Because of this, our appraisals are based only on the value of the gold content and not on the aesthetic, numismatic, or collectible value of the item.
Valuable Gold Items You May Have Sitting Around Your Home
You could have high value gold pieces in your home that are just collecting dust or languishing in storage. Here are three common types of household gold items that you can turn into cash:
- Scrap gold: Do you have gold accessories you haven’t worn in years and which no longer have any market value beyond its gold content? You can sell good accessories as scrap, as the gold can still be melted down and recycled.
- Broken gold: If you have a broken piece of gold jewelry or even a gold part that broke off from a larger piece, you can also sell these for their gold content. Things like gold watch bands, gold chains, gold ring bands, and broken gold bracelets can be sold whole or in part to a gold buyer.
- Gold coins: Though these are less common than gold jewelry and accessories, some people have coins at home that they have either inherited or collected as an investment. For example: the U.S. Mint produces various sizes of gold bullion coins—if you have them, they can be sold to a gold buyer at any time for their current value.
How to Test Gold at Home
If there is no karat marking or you’re not sure whether an item is made from real gold or has been plated, there are a few simple at-home tests you can do to find out.
- Rub the item against a piece of unglazed porcelain. If it leaves a black streak, the item is made from pyrite (“fool’s gold”) rather than real gold. If the streak is gold-colored, it is made from real gold.
- Hold a magnet above the gold item. Gold is not magnetic, so if your item is attracted to the magnet, there are significant impurities in the metal. The low purity also tells you it’s not likely to have a very high karat value.
- If the item passes these two tests, you might choose to purchase a home gold testing solution from a store. These can help you get a more accurate idea of how pure the gold material is.
Keep in mind that even commercial home testing solutions are only rough field tests and cannot tell you the exact composition of your gold items. The only way you can be certain of an item’s purity and value is to have it assessed by a professional with access to proper equipment.
Sell Gold Online: Our Process
Here’s how it works when you sell us your gold, silver, and other precious metal items:
- Fill out our online form to request free USPS or FedEx shipping. In response, we will mail you a SAFEPAK, a USPS mailer or provide you with a FedEx shipping label that is insured up to $5,000.
- Once you receive the SAFEPAK or FedEx shipping label, package up your gold, silver, platinum, and/or palladium items and use the provided label to ship us your valuables at no charge to you.
- Within 24 hours of receiving your items, our experts will determine the value of the pieces and we will email you a quote.
- If you are satisfied with our offer, simply accept it and we will rush you out your payment. If you deny the offer, your items will be promptly returned free of charge.
Buy and Sell Gold Online
Ready to get started? Now is the time to sell your gold online by filling out the form or call our team at (866) 300-1430 to learn more.